So You Think You Can Dance Season 5 - Episode 6 - The Top 20 Perform

Welcome back to Simple Man Entertainment. I hope you all got a chance to watch So You Think You Can Dance last night. If you didn't, you missed an excellent show.

Since I've watched every single season of So You Think You Can Dance from the beginning, I've definitely been spoiled by great dancing. Each show has been better than the last, and at the beginning of each season I always wonder will this new season keep up with the last. Well, the dancers didn't disappoint me last night!

The show started out with a Hip Hop routine performed by Jeanine and Phillip, and it was a show starter to be sure. In the words of judge Adam, it was "un-freakin' real," and I'd have to agree. I'm a huge fan of Napoleon and Tabitha's choreography in the first place, and the story that was danced was beautiful. I always look for dancing that jumps off my screen and really touches my emotions - this one did it.

Next came Asuka and Vitolio. I was excited when I saw that they would be performing Broadway, choreographed by Tyce Diorio. Unfortunately the excitement was unwarranted. The performance was blasé. No, it wasn't bad, but it didn't grab me at all. I really think that for these two, their staid backgrounds held them back, not allowing them to let their personalities shine through their dancing. Anything would have been hard put to follow Jeanine and Phillip, but this didn't even come close. I think these two have a good chance of being in the bottom three tonight.

Karla and Jonathan were up next, and I was hoping the Cha Cha would bring the show back, but it wasn't to be. This dance was merely okay in my book. There were some good tricks, but the basics weren't so great. With some of the great performances on the show, I think this number really just got lost. It didn't have what it took to really compete.

With a jazz routine, once again choreographed by Tyce Diorio, Randi and Evan were up. I loved this routine. They brought the show back with a routine that was smokin' hot, even though Randi is a married woman. Lol. The lifts were great, the chemistry was there, and I think this routine set Evan up to go a long way in this competition.

Paris and Tony then were out on the floor doing another Hip Hop routine. Sorry, but they blew it. This routine was supposed to be rough and raw and it just wasn't there. This was Tony's genre, so what was going on here? He wasn't even hitting the moves, and he should have been. These two I believe are seriously are in danger of being in the bottom three and maybe even going home tonight.

Last year I loved the Bollywood routine performed by Katie and Joshua. This year they brought the cultural dance back, and Caitlin and Jason would perform it. They had a lot to live up to. The routine was a tough one and even the choreographer stated that it may have included too much and been too tough for week one. Did Caitlin and Jason live up to last year's Bollywood performance? No, I don't think so, but I have to say these two put everything they had into it. It was a respectable performance and they left it all out on the floor.

When Janette and Brandon walked out to do a Foxtrot, I almost groaned. This is a tough piece to do after the high energy of a Bollywood routine. However, I feel the couple really pulled this off. It was interesting, graceful, and well performed. Undoubtedly the best Foxtrot I've ever seen on the show. No, it didn't make my top three, but definitely one of the better performances of the night.

Doing a Wade Robson routine, Ashley and Kupono came out to perform jazz. The routine was definitely unique, as they portrayed crash test dummies throughout the routine. They did a great job at staying in the character that they were given to play. At the end of the day though, I don't think this routine was enough to become a favorite compared to many of the incredible routines performed throughout the show.

Out to save the day came Melissa and Ade, performing a Mandy Moore contemporary piece. I had really never noticed either of these dancers before this point. Melissa happens to be the oldest dancer this year, and last year it was the oldest dancer that got cut first. I don't think that will be happening this year. The routine was incredible. The dancing was strong and graceful by both of them, and it reached out and grabbed your heart. It actually made Adam Shankman tear up. These are two who I think will go a long way in this competition if they keep up this level of performance.

Last, but not least, Kayla and Max hit the stage. From the start Kayla has been a favorite for me, so I'd been waiting all night to see her take the stage. I wasn't disappointed with the Samba they performed. This was one of the night's best routines, and even though Kayla had never danced ballroom in her life, she did it brilliantly. The routine brought screams from Mary Murphy and raving reviews from Adam and Nigel. It wasn't hard to see why. It was sexy, sultry, earthy, and just incredibly HOT! What a way to end the night.

The first top 20 show was sensational. We saw some good dancing, some who needed a bit of improvement, and then some dancing that was absolutely incredible. This promises to be a great season, and from here it can only get better.

Stay tuned tomorrow morning for Tim's review of tonight's results show. We'll let you know who landed in the bottom three couples, the two that get cut, and whether we think this was the right choice.

Until next time….let me leave you with one thought on dance that I believe pertains to the show…"Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another." ~ Unknown

P.S. Videos of my favorite performances from last night are below. Enjoy!





1 Response to "So You Think You Can Dance Season 5 - Episode 6 - The Top 20 Perform"

  1. Anonymous Says:
    June 11, 2009 at 8:50 PM

    I love this show. The first show was awesome. great review here too!