"W"


Hello everyone and I would like to welcome you my faithful readers back, and those of you who are here for the first time I am glad you stopped by to see what’s up.

As you all know I have been talking about writing about the Oliver Stone film “W” for sometime, well I finally watched it. I found it particularly hard to watch this film from the liberal perspective as I am a political blogger, and conservative most of the time as well, but I did it anyway.

True to the Oliver Stone style the film was very well made, however I would not say that it was his best, and I say that from a fans perspective, because I love Stones work. That being said I will say that he did the best he could with what information he had with regard to the plotline and cast. However I will caution that the film is not entirely accurate historically, but did have entertainment value none the less.

I thought that the cast was very good in the roles that they played. I particularly enjoyed Richard Dreyfuss who played the part of Dick Cheney. I really think that he nailed the look and the no B.S. attitude that the former VP is known for and did it with style. As you all know though Richard Dreyfuss is a consummate actor and professional.

I also thought that Josh Brolin who played former President George W, Bush did very well in the role although he didn’t exactly have the look down he had the accent nailed right on. I would also like to add that he played the part written for him excellently and really showed a human side to the character, which I was surprised to see done.

I really liked the character of Laura Bush, which was played by Elizabeth Banks. I think that they portrayed her very well as a smart, beautiful, and classy lady. They showed that without her that George W, Bush might very well never been President proving that behind every great man is most certainly a great woman and she is one of those.

I was really disappointed to see Karl Rove played by Toby Jones portrayed the way he was in the film. While it is true that George Bush relied heavily on Rove throughout his political career Karl Rove was anything but a behind the scenes kind of guy either in public or private. There can be no mistaking the fact the Karl was a major player in the rise of G.W. Bush to the Presidency. There is also no doubt that he is quite possibly the most politically astute figure in the arena of politics today.

I was also disappointed in the way that they portrayed Colin Powell who was played by Jeffrey Wright. Colin Powell was very instrumental in most if not all of Bush’s policies with regard to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Not only is Powell the soldier’s soldier, but was an excellent Secretary of State.

I must regrettably say the same about the misrepresentation of Donald Rumsfeld, who is played by Scott Glenn another one of my favorite actors. Don Rumsfeld was an excellent Secretary of defense and a very hard worker, which is good considering the responsibilities that fell upon him in the wake of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In closing this post I will caution any one who watches this movie to do so for entertainment value and that alone. Most of the conversations that take place in the movie are purely speculative as there are actually no witnesses to them and no manuscripts as well. Creative license has definitely been exercised here in an effort to support an opposing point of view. As far as creative license goes George W, Bush is not the hick redneck that they would lead us all to believe.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would have to give this film an overall 7 on that scale, and I feel that I am being generous liberally. If it happens that you do decide to watch this film I hope that you all enjoy it and come back here and tell me what you think. Till the next time we meet don’t forget to enjoy life and make it the best life you can, CIAO4NOW!!!!!

2 Response to ""W""

  1. Joy says:
    March 8, 2009 at 11:20 PM

    I too have watched this movie and I'd have to agree with your assessment of it. Of course I too am a political blogger, and a conservative one at that, so I definitely had most of the same opinions you did.

    Overall, it was enjoyable, although throughout the movie I kept telling my husband, look at all those historical mistakes. LOL.

  2. Anonymous Says:
    March 8, 2009 at 11:21 PM

    Interesting movie. Watched it. It was ok. Not the biggest fan of it that's for sure.